NewsNigeriaPoliticsFormer Kaduna Governor El-Rufai Moves from EFCC to ICPC Custody

The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) has confirmed that former Kaduna State governor, Nasir El‑Rufai, is in its custody in connection with an ongoing investigation.

In a statement issued on Wednesday evening, the Commission’s spokesperson, John Odey, said El-Rufai was in ICPC custody as at the close of work on 18 February 2026. The agency, however, did not disclose details of the specific allegations under investigation, stating only that the former governor was being held “in connection with investigations.”

El-Rufai, who governed Kaduna State from 2015 to 2023, had earlier confirmed receiving an invitation from the ICPC. Writing on his X account last week, he said his lawyer had acknowledged the invitation and that he would honour it on Wednesday. He also alleged that there had been an earlier “futile attempt” to abduct him before the formal invitation was delivered.

The development comes amid a string of engagements between the former governor and security agencies. Earlier, he was reportedly at the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) headquarters in Abuja over allegations of financial improprieties during his tenure.

Those allegations stem partly from a 2024 report by the Kaduna State House of Assembly, which accused the former governor and his administration of diverting about ₦423 billion in public funds and recommended that anti-corruption agencies investigate the claims. El-Rufai has repeatedly denied wrongdoing.

Similarly, the Department of State Services (DSS) recently filed a three-count charge against him, alleging that he intercepted a private telephone conversation involving the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu. Prosecutors said the alleged conduct contravened provisions of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) (Amendment) Act, 2024, and the Nigerian Communications Act, 2003.

According to the DSS, El-Rufai allegedly failed to report knowledge of the unlawful interception and used technical means that compromised public safety and national security. No date has yet been fixed for his arraignment.

The ICPC said it would provide further information as its investigation progresses.

By Ezinwanne Onwuka (Senior Reporter)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com