Over 300 structures constructed along waterways will be demolished by the Nasarawa State Government to prevent flooding.
Alhaji Abubakar Mohammed, Chief Environmental Officer of the state disclosed this to newsmen after the monthly environmental sanitation in Lafia, the state capital.
He said the state government had already directed residents of flood-prone areas in Lafia, Doma, Nasarawa Toto, and Awe local government areas to relocate to safer grounds in compliance with the recent prediction.
“The state government had mapped out areas across the state with illegal structures including shops, business centres, and residential buildings for demolition to allow seamless flow of water.
“The measure became imperative following the recent prediction of possible flash flooding in 25 states including Nasarawa by the Nigerian Meteorological Agency, NiMeT.
“Given the way floods have ravaged some parts of Nasarawa State in the recent past, the government would continue to take necessary measures to ensure people desist from activities that are capable of blocking waterways,” Mohammed said.
- NANGO Calls For Withdrawal Of Foreign Aid Bill, 2026 Before National Assembly - August 22, 2026
- Tinubu Suspends Three Permanent Secretaries Over ICPC Discovery - August 22, 2026
- FCT Minister Orders Demolition Of 30 Buildings On Ring Road - August 21, 2026

