The national screening committee of the Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC) has cleared Peter Obi as the party’s sole presidential aspirant ahead of its forthcoming primaries for the 2027 general election.
Obi arrived at the party’s national secretariat in Abuja at about 6:45 p.m. on Tuesday, accompanied by Victor Umeh, senator representing Anambra Central. He was subsequently screened by the committee headed by Sam Egwu.
Speaking after the exercise, Egwu said the panel was satisfied with Obi’s performance, noting that he met all constitutional and legal requirements and responded satisfactorily to questions posed by members of the committee.

“This is to certify that following the screening of the presidential aspirant of the Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC), His Excellency Peter Obi, and being satisfied that he has complied with all the requirements of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and all provisions of the Electoral Act, and the satisfactory answers given by him to all the questions from members of the national screening committee, he is hereby cleared to contest in the presidential primaries of the party for the 2027 presidential election on a date to be announced by the party. Congratulations,” Egwu said.
He thereafter presented an official clearance letter to Obi alongside the party’s nomination form numbered 001.
Obi had earlier picked the NDC presidential nomination and expression of interest forms on Sunday, 17 May, which was the initial deadline set by the party for the collection of forms across all categories of aspirants.
Although the party extended the deadline for the collection of forms to 24 May to allow more aspirants participate, it noted that the extension did not apply to the presidential category, as the deadline for presidential nomination forms had already closed.
The NDC also stated that the submission of completed nomination forms for all screened and cleared aspirants would commence on Wednesday, 20 May, and end on 26 May.
In a statement issued after the screening, Obi said the exercise lasted over two hours and involved a thorough verification of his credentials and interrogation of his policy direction.
“Yesterday, May 19th, in Abuja, I attended the Presidential screening organised by our party, which took over two and a half hours. They carefully reviewed all my documents, including my degree certificates, NYSC credentials, and age declarations,” he said in a social media post.
“During the process, I also addressed questions regarding my vision for a new Nigeria and the type of leadership our nation urgently needs right now. Following this, I was cleared and received the presidential nomination form I had previously paid for.
“I would like to commend the screening committee, led by former governor Sam Egwu, for their thorough and professional approach. Additionally, I appreciate our party’s leadership for upholding the democratic process.”
Latest posts by By Ezinwanne Onwuka (Senior Reporter) (see all)
- DHQ: 175 ISIS Terrorists Killed in Nigeria-US Operations - May 20, 2026
- Ex-minister Pantami Withdraws from Gombe APC Governorship Race - May 20, 2026
- Peter Obi Passes NDC Screening, Set for Presidential Primaries - May 20, 2026
previous
From Noise to Votes: Nigerian Youth Must Turn Online Fire into Electoral Power
next

