Contributions to UN COVID-19 Plans hit $1bn — Deputy Chief

The United Nations (UN) Deputy Secretary-General, Ms. Amina Mohammed, on Monday said over one billion dollars (N376 billion) has so far been realised from contributions to the organisation’s Coronavirus (COVID-19) response plans. Mohammed disclosed this during a virtual new conference from New York on the launch of two initiatives in support of the UN COVID-19 response efforts. “As with all things, fundraising has become quite a challenge. “In as much as we expect to have...

PM Johnson quashes Hopes of Early Easing of Britain’s COVID-19 Lockdown

Britain is “turning the tide” in its fight to curb the spread of the novel coronavirus, but must continue social-distancing measures to avoid a second peak of infections, Prime Minister Boris Johnson said. Johnson said this in his first speech on Monday since returning to work after his own infection with the virus. He urged the public not to “throw away all the effort and sacrifice” and risk a second peak by lifting Britain’s near-lockdown...

COVID-19: FG Bans Inter-State Travel, Says Face Mask Mandatory

President Muhammadu Buhari on Monday announced a ban on non-essential inter-state travels until further notice as Nigeria grapples to combat the spread of coronavirus. The president, who made the announcement in a broadcast in Abuja, also announced the imposition of curfew from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. “This means all movements will be prohibited during this period except for essential services,’’ Buhari said. He stated, however, that partial and controlled inter-state movement of goods and...

Shehu of Bama is Dead

Maiduguri, April 27, 2020 (NAN) A traditional ruler, Alhaji Ibrahim Kyari Ibn Umar El-Kanemi, the Shehu of Bama, in Borno, is dead. The State Commissioner of Information, Alhaji Babakura Abba-Jato, made the disclosure on Monday in Maiduguri. Abba-Jato said the first class traditional ruler passed away at the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital (UMTH) of yet to be disclosed ailment. “We are expecting a more detailed statement from Bama Emirate,” Abba-Jato said. The News Agency...

COVID-19: Kano Residents Express Support Over Lockdown

Some residents of Kano metropolis have expressed support to the two weeks total lockdown order of the state announced by President Muhammadu Buhari. The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that President Buhari in a broadcast on Monday announced the total lockdown of the state with immediate effect to stem the spread of coronavirus. The President said: “With regards to Kano, I have directed the enforcement of a total lockdown for a period of two...

COVID-19: Atiku’s Son Recovers, Thanks Nigerians

Mohammed Atiku, son of former Vice President Atiku Abubakar, has recovered from the Coronavirus (COVID-19) disease to which he tested positive last month. Mohammed, who spent 40 days in the hospital, was finally cleared and discharged on Monday. In a statement he personally signed after he left the hospital, Mohammed thanked Nigerians for the support and prayers, urging them to keep praying for those still being treated for the pandemic that had killed 40 Nigerians....

COVID-19: Gov. Ishaku Confirms 6 Index Cases in Taraba

Gov. Darius Ishaku of Taraba, on Monday, confirmed six index cases of COVID-19 in the state. The governor, in a state-wide broadcast from the Government House, Jalingo, also said that the state government, with the support of Access Bank, would soon complete a 100-bed capacity isolation centre. Although Ishaku expressed worries over the development, he, however, assured the people of the state of his administration’s commitment to protecting them against further spread of the pandemic...

Ekiti Kidnap: Abductors Demand N30m Ransom

The suspected abductors of the Ekiti Commissioner for Agriculture, Mr. Folorunsho Olabode, has demanded N30 million ransom from his family to secure his freedom. The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the suspected abductors attacked the commissioner and two others in his vehicle along Isan Ekiti-Iludun Ekiti road on Sunday night. The driver of the car, who was the leader of the legislative arm of Ilejemeje local Government in Ekiti, Omotoso Olatunji, was killed...

Lockdown: Google Lists Steps Toward Efective Video Conferencing

Google on Monday proffered six best ways to enjoy video conferencing with friends and colleagues while on COVID-19-induced lockdown. In a statement made available to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), Mr. Taiwo Kola-Ogunlade, West Africa Communication Officer, Google, said that Nigerians have had a rapid transition to working from home. Kola-Ogunlade said this could be a daunting task if one was not familiar with tools like video conferencing. He said that Google had compiled...

Fire guts NNPC filling Station at Ifako Ijaiye LGA in Lagos

A filling station belonging to the  Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) located within  Ifako-Ijaiye Local Government Area of Lagos State has been gutted by fire. The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) at the scene of the incident on Monday reports that the fire extended to some of the buildings close to the filling station. Dr. Olufemi Oke -Osayintolu, the Director-General, Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA), and men from the agency were also at the...

WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com