The Executive Secretary National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS) Prof. Nasir Mohammed Sambo said the scheme has commenced enrolment of 1,300 beneficiaries for its two-year free healthcare service in Zaria, Kaduna State.
Sambo while flagging up the scheme tagged “2021 Constituency project in Zaria,” at the Emir’s Palace in Zaria that the targeted beneficiaries will be drawn from the vulnerable segment of the population who cannot afford to register in the scheme.
“The federal government has made budgetary provisions to ensure that the vulnerable are covered through insurance, the NHIS constituency will be extended to cover all parts of the country, states, local councils and philanthropists should extend the project beyond the stipulated two years.
“Last year, NHIS gave Kaduna State government the sum of N500 million to provide basic health to the vulnerable in the state,” he said.
Sambo stated that another project called the Basic Health Care Fund will be coming through state governments to complement efforts towards providing healthcare access to the vulnerable. According to him,
Responding, the Emir of Zazzau, Ambassador Ahmed Nuhu Bamalli tasked local council chairmen in the Emirate to key into the scheme by sponsoring additional people and extending the time frame to cover at least five years of free services.
“There could be no better initiative that will bring succour to the vulnerable than providing them access to free healthcare,” The Emir said.
- Troops Neutralize 37 Terrorists In Northeast, As 863 Terrorists, their families Surrender - January 21, 2022
- Governor Ortom Pardons 34 Convicts Sentenced To Death - January 21, 2022
- United Nations Lauds Borno State Govt For Safe Return of IDPs - January 21, 2022