The 23 remaining passengers of the Kaduna-Abuja train attack of 28 March 2022 held captive by terrorists have regained their freedom.
This was disclosed by Prof. Usman Yusuf, the Secretary, Chief of Defense Staff Action Committee, on Wednesday.
It is to be recalled that armed bandits on 28 March ambushed the train heading for Kaduna from the nation’s capital city after bombing its rail track.
In the train attack, at least eight passengers were killed, and 168 others were kidnapped or declared missing.
The terrorists had earlier released some of the hostages in batches after ransom was paid by the relatives.
In his statement, Yusuf said the seven-man committee set up by the Chief of Defense Staff, General Lucky Irabor, secured the release of the last batch of victims at about 4:00 p.m on Wednesday.
“I am pleased to announce to the nation and the world that at 4:00 pm today, Wednesday, October 5, 2022, the seven-man presidential committee assembled by the Chief of Defense Staff General Irabor, secured the release and took custody of all the 23 remaining passengers held hostage by Boko Haram terrorists following the attack on the Abuja to Kaduna train on March 28, 2022,” he said.
Speaking on the efforts of the Nigerian Army to ensure that the captives are liberated, Yusuf said “the nation owes a debt of gratitude to the Nigerian military under the leadership of the CDS who conceived and guided the operation from start to finish.”
He noted that other security agencies, the Federal Ministry of Transportation, and the support of President Muhammadu
- Protests against Tinubu’s government are sponsored: Senate President - February 22, 2024
- EFCC raid streets, arrests illegal money changers as effort to save the naira takes new shape - February 22, 2024
- DSS calls on NLC to shelve upcoming protest - February 21, 2024